There are reports by some Xbox console gamers and Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC gamers alike, whereby they get the Error 0x800c0005 when playing media (song or music video) on Xbox App on their respective gaming device. This post provides the most suitable solutions to fix the error.
This error may mean that the Internet connection between your Xbox console or PC and the other service is failing. Often this is the result of incompatible Network Address Translation (NAT) types.
Error 0x800c0005 when playing media on Xbox App
If the Error 0x800c0005 has occurred on your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One or Windows 11/10 gaming PC when playing media on Xbox App, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue on your gaming system.
- Initial checklist
- Check your NAT settings
- Reset/Reinstall Xbox app
- Play media on another app
- Reset gaming device
- Contact Xbox Support
Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.
1] Initial checklist
Before you try the solutions below, you can do the following, and after each task see if you can play media without issues on your gaming system:
- Restart gaming device. Restart your gaming PC or Xbox console (press and hold the Xbox button on the controller to launch the Power center. Select Restart Console > Restart) as the case may be. Console gamers can power cycle your Xbox by following the instructions given below.
- Update gaming device. Make sure your Windows PC is updated. You can update your Xbox console offline, or open the guide and select Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates. Under Updates, select Console update available to begin the update.
- Check Network and Internet connection. Make sure Xbox server status is all green. Otherwise, you can try to resolve possible Xbox Live networking issues on your PC. On console, if DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names, you can fix that because the issue can prevent Xbox Live connection on your gaming device. In addition, PC gamers can flush DNS, because if the DNS settings are corrupted, it can prevent certain applications from making contact with the internet.
- Disable or Disconnect from VPN or Proxy (if applicable). If you have a VPN or Proxy configured, the issue in highlight may occur due to some kind of interference that ends up blocking communications between your gaming device and the service. So, disable your VPN/GPN software or reset Proxy Settings. On the other hand, it might be worth trying to connect via VPN or configure a Proxy to see if that sorts out the connection issue if you don’t have these services configured on your device.
2] Check your NAT settings
If you tick all the boxes on the initial checklist but the Error 0x800c0005 is still triggered on your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One or Windows 11/10 gaming PC when playing media on Xbox App, you can check your NAT settings.
Your NAT type is determined by the settings or features of the router on the network you are using to connect to the Internet. The Xbox console has the following NAT types:
If your NAT type is Open, your console is connected properly – in this mode, a quick reboot will resolve any issues due to a temporary glitch with your connection. On the other hand, if your NAT Type is Moderate or Strict, this generally indicates that there is some sort of restriction or blockage that is preventing your console from communicating properly.
This solution requires you to check your NAT type and make sure it’s set to Open .
Press the Xbox button on the controller, then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > Network settings. Now, under the section that reads, Current Network Status, please click on NAT Type
PC gamers can change the MAC address on your Windows 11/10 gaming device, and Xbox console gamers can also clear the alternate MAC address Go to Settings > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternate MAC Address > Clear and see if that helps.
3] Reset/Reinstall Xbox app
You can uninstall the Xbox app on your Windows 11/10 gaming rig and install the app via Microsoft Store and see if that helps. You can repair or reset the app first and if that didn’t help, you can proceed with the uninstall/reinstall.
To uninstall and reinstall Xbox app on your console, do the following:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.
- Select Home to return to the Home screen.
- Next, select My games & apps.
- Select Apps.
- Highlight the Xbox app tile.
- Press the Menu button on your controller.
- Select Uninstall.
- On the confirmation screen, select Uninstall all.
- Restart console once the app uninstall process completes.
- After the console restarts, scroll right to the Store area.
- Select Xbox app.
- Select Install.
Try the next solution if the issue you’re currently facing is unresolved.
4] Play media on another app
Depending on the app you’re getting the error in view on, if Solution 3] wasn’t helpful, this solution requires you to instead download from the Microsoft/Xbox Store, install and use any other Media Player app to play your media on your Xbox console or Windows 11/10 PC.
5] Reset gaming device
This solution requires you to reset your gaming device and see if the issue is resolved. You can reset your Xbox console – but make sure to select the Reset and keep my games & apps option. PC gamers can reset Windows 11/10 – but choose the option to keep your personal files.
6] Contact Xbox Support
If you have exhausted all the suggestions, workarounds and solutions provided in this post, but the issue is still unresolved, you can contact Xbox Support and see if they can help resolve the issue in hand.
Hope this post helps you!
How do I Power cycle the Xbox console?
You can manually power cycle your gaming device as follows:
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds to turn off your console.
- Unplug your Xbox from the mains.
- Wait at least 30-60 seconds.
- Once the time elapses, plug your Xbox back into the power outlet.
- Now, press the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller to turn your console back on.
Why won’t my clips play on Xbox app?
If you can’t see your clips, make sure they’ve been uploaded to the Xbox service and aren’t saved locally to your console. On your console: Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide and select Profile & system > Settings > Preferences.
How do I fix error code 0x800c0005?
To fix error code 0x800c0005 on your Xbox console, you can try the following suggestions:
- Power cycling both devices.
- Changing the NAT settings.
- Setting the router to DMZ mode.